Wednesday, May 14, 2008

We are the Web: From a Course to a Community (and back?)

Melissa Phillips, Nicole Hayes and Zak Mensah - University of Leicester

This session was definitely not good. They started by asking if anyone had seen 'A Vision of Students Today'. When practically everyone in the room raised their hands she said, 'oh well, we're going to go ahead and show it anyway'.

I was completely lost in this session due to the fact that they didn't tell us what they were actually talking about, but from what I could gather it was something to do with staff development in lots of different countries. I don't think I'll go into any more detail than that because it really wasn't much use. Juliun Ryan shared my pain so he might be able to give you a clearer idea of what was going on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From what I could tell this session was an attempt to share the presenters' experiences in trying to set up an M-level 15 credit module on-line that explored education and technology. Specifically what the module was about, what the structure of the module was or how that reflected the principles of web2.0 and thinkers on the subject that were mentioned remained unclear to me throughout.

The session started with the notion that George Siemens' work on connectivism and 'Rethinking Pedagogy for the Digital Age' (google suggests Beetham & Sharpe on this but I'm not familiar) had been the main influences on designing the module and the learning experience they wanted to offer its students. As Helen says, they then wheeled out the Michael Wesch clips and from there on in I lost the plot. Gilly Salmon's Barefoot e-Moderation course also got a mention. Dunno... utterly baffling!